8.13.2014

The River

For the first 16 years of my life, my sister and I spent a glorious week out at the river with my grandparents (Nana and Pa). Our trip with them was usually the highlight of our summer. We would water ski, collect rocks, try to surf on rafts and play in the sun. Those days are by far some of my favorite memories. A couple of weeks ago I got to share a bit of my childhood with my children when we went out to the desert and stayed at Nana's for a few days.
image
My Pa died about 16 years ago and I've only been on the boat once prior to this trip. Many years ago my cousin was working on it in the garage and when he started it up I started sobbing uncontrollably. I was shocked at my tears and didn't realize a sound could bring up so many emotions. The noise of the motor reminds me of Pa more than anything else. He adored his boat and absolutely loved taking us out on it and I guess I've realized that the hum of the engine is somehow wrapped up in all my wonderful memories.
image
image
So, this time with children loaded in and a baby on my lap I cried again. I just couldn't help it.
image
August is a rainy season and we were blessed with awesome weather. Rain, wind, sun and thunderstorms. We rarely have lightning and thunder where I live so when I was awakened by the sound I jumped out of bed and ran to a window to watch.
image
image
Once the storm moved on a bit I went outside to try and get a picture of a lightning bolt. I got the one below right away and assumed I could easily get another one. Boy, was I wrong!
image
Another exciting part of the trip...quail!!! I had gone outside our first night to watch the sun set and heard all sorts of fluttering and chattering in the bushes. When I approached a bunch of birds flew to the neighbors yard and when I saw the adorable little feather on their heads I knew what they were.
image
Aren't they the cutest?!
image
image
All the kids had a blast. I'm so happy they got a taste of the river :)
image
image
image
Do you have a favorite summer memory or vacation? Please share :)

♥ anne

6 comments :

  1. Thank you for sharing this. Reminiscing and reliving things like this can be so emotional. It's lovely to be able to share these things with your children, watching them do the things that you did. You photos are beautiful, wow to that thunder storm!
    I spent part of my childhood in Cornwall UK, earlier this year I took my baby, then 4months, and partner to show them where i did most of my growing up. I can't wait to take them back so my son can enjoy the things that i did - swimming and jumping in the sea, boat rides and secret gardens...
    Your post has evoked lots of memories for me, for that i am thankful. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. That lightening photo is stunning. Good grandparents are so special, I miss mine too. Looks like a fabulous holiday; swimming, sand, pebbles, water and storms. Tired sleepy babes at night in the heat. My favourite summertime memories are of family barbeques and cousins. I was so lucky to have such a big extended family when I was growing up, playing into the night hours while adults got tipsy on beer. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great photos, especially the lightening one! Sounds like a good trip!

    I definitely like sharing those special times that I had in my childhood with my boys now. My father loves boating and fishing. My parents stay in Black Lake, NY for the whole summer (in the 1,000 Islands region close to the Saint Lawrence River) and we usually go up a week to visit. My boys love fishing and boating with Grandpa. Watching them learn to fish reminds me of when my dad took my sister and I out. He would always take us on a private boat ride, hook a fish and then tell us that we could claim it as our own catch. Special times for sure and they are made more special when you get to share them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks beautiful! What river is this? I live right by the coast but, being a Michigan girl, I'm dying to take the family to some CA lakes or rivers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how sounds alone can bring back so many memories. Smells too. I'm obsessed with the composition of that picture of Margaret on the bed, reminds me a bit of William Eggelston (one of my favorites). We did a lot of camping as a family. I can't wait to take the boys. We keep talking about doing it, but have yet to take the plunge. I also have fond memories of renting RV's and beidng broken down on the side of the road (that happened too many times to count).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting article and I Banget Fill It Love
    Fraternal greetings from our.

    obat aborsi | obat telat bulan | jual obat aborsi

    ReplyDelete

thank you so much for stopping by. please feel free to leave a comment! i love reading them :)


anne