i've noticed that no one (including myself) ever talks about their kids and tv. if you were to judge strictly off pictures, you would be led to believe that every child out there is spending their time crafting, exploring outdoors, playing with dolls or reading and NEVER sitting in front of the tv. as much as i wish that was the case for my family, it just isn't. my children do watch tv. we don't have live tv, but we do have netflix through the Xbox. this is pretty ideal because there are no commercials and commercials are by far my least favorite aspect of television. since balance and moderation are my goal for all aspects of life, i won't be taking a sledgehammer to the screen any time soon like i have fantasies of doing. instead i'd like to share with you some of our favorite children's tv shows.
1. Maurice Sendak's Little Bear- by far my favorite! all my kids have loved this show. little bear is polite and respectful and goes on all sorts of adventures with his animal friends. it's slow paced and has nice, calm music. i can't recommend it enough!
2. Maisy Mouse- again, all my children enjoyed this show. it too is slow paced, colorful and you won't find any bratty characters trying to teach your 4 year old some lame lesson. that is my #1 complaint about kids shows, they show a character acting horribly through the entire episode, then at the very end they learn some lesson about sharing or manners and a little child is suppose to be mature enough to think, "oh, i see! i shouldn't behave the way so and so just did for the last 20 minutes!" yeah right! i think a lot of those shows actually teach children bad behavior. what do you think?
3. Blue's Clues- great show. and i prefer steve, i was sad when he was replaced :D
4.Kipper The Dog- who doesn't love a little british dog? he is one of shane's favorites and i remember max loving the show as well.
5. Yo Gabba Gabba- this is not my favorite (for reasons listed in #2) but boy does marianne love it! the second the episode starts she is dancing until the end. actually, all the kids will watch this. since i have such a wide range of ages (an almost 14 year old down to a 1 and 1/2 year old) the older kids have to watch things they are too old for but since this show is funny and has current bands featured it will somewhat keep the older two entertained.
6. School House Rock- the best! from the awesome animation to the super catchy, educational songs it's a home run all the way! we have the DVD set and everyone loves it.
what are your thoughts about kids and tv? do you allow your children to watch it and if so what are your favorite shows?