my mom and i recently took a raw desert class where we learned, among others things, how to open a young coconut.
1. purchase a couple young coconuts :) haha kinda a no brainer, right?!
2. start shaving off the husk moving up toward the tip. go around the whole top until you start to see the darker part of the shell.
3. use the heavier part of a knife to pound into the top at a 45 degree angle. keep whacking away all the way around until the shell cracks.
4. pry open the top.
5. pour out the coconut water and drink it if you'd like.
6. scoop out all the coconut meat. it's ok to leave the soft brown part on the meat, you just want to make sure to get any hard, tough pieces of shell off.
how to store- i load a mason jar with the meat and fill it with the coconut water until it's covered.
i use the water in smoothies or to drink plain. with the meat i've made raw coconut ice cream, added it to smoothies and have cut it up to eat with morning nuts, berries and groats. i know there are tons of recipes out there and i look forward to trying some of them out!
i also wanted to mention that my talented friend diana started a vegan food blog called Flip Flops and Avocados, check it out here. i've already made one of the recipes and it was fantastic!