4.21.2014

Settling In

The last two weeks have been filled with lots of family time as I recovered from giving birth. Every morning Maryanne wakes up and is just as excited over "the new baby" as she was the day before. She smothers her in kisses just like Shane did to her when she was a baby. Little Maggie has been a very easy babe so far and is the best sleeper I've had yet. When she is awake she has a calm, sweet little disposition. I'm always amazed how the love is so immediate, it's like she's always been a part of the family even though she's so new. I guess it's just another one of the mysteries of life :)
collage1
The birth went really well! As you may or may not know, I had a hospital birth this time and was pretty nervous about it. For several reasons I don't want to go in to, I decided to let the doctor induce me (thankfully it only took a very low dose to get things going). I knew that getting an epidural* would be very tempting for me since I know all too well how painful giving birth is, so I let Ruben know that I would really need his support. He did not let me down! When my moment of desperately wanting relief came, he was there to encourage me on. I'm SO thankful for his help in moving forward from that place of mental anguish because once I did, things moved very quickly.

This was the most focused and present I've been during a birth. As things progressed I was turning within and starting to close my eyes with each contraction. I know all too well, from all my natural birthing books, that your eyes need to stay open and focused on something or someone but I've never been able to do it. The nurse reminded me how important it was to keep them open and I made a full blown effort to do it this time. It was extremely helpful and I believe it aided in the quickness of labor. Once the hard contractions started it was only about 45 minutes until I had the baby.

I'm not sure if it's because this was my fifth time giving birth and practice does make perfect, but I finally felt like I was control and knew what I was doing. Anyway, the good news is that I'm not pregnant anymore and let me tell ya, that's something to be happy about! The last 6 months have been really hard because I couldn't exercise at all. I got winded just walking up the stairs. Needless to say, I've never been more excited to exercise in my life!
13892586126_07a5d1507a_o
My friend Maia brought this delicious salad over for me. I've asked her for the recipe for the dressing and plan sharing it here when she gives it to me because it ruled!
image
Today Ruben went back to work and I'm here with all 5 and a week of Easter break ahead. Wish me luck ;)

♥ anne

*I just want to say that I don't think women that have natural births are superior to those that choose not to. I have had 2 births with an epidural and 2 (now 3) without one and I prefer feeling everything even though it hurts like hell. I knew that since I had to be induced, which I wasn't thrilled about, that if I gave in to an epidural as well, I would be disappointed with myself. I just wanted to make sure you all didn't think I was getting judgey and whatnot.

6 comments :

  1. Congratulations! And reading as a 100% non-natural birth giver (technical term, I'm sure), no judgement perceived :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh boy, I applaud you so much! How can she be two weeks old already? Looks like she knew you guys belonged to her before she even said hi. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job family! She's precious and I'm so happy Ruben was able to to hang with you all while Maggie is so small still. Did he get papa-leave? That salad looks delis, I wish we lived close enough for me to trot over a mama meal for you. Lots of love to you all, I hope you have a lovely break. And then a lovely break from that brake ;) Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  4. congrats mama! so happy for you! and so excited to see photos of that sweet babe. also drooling over the salad, it looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. anne i am so happy for you all! i am like obsessed with birth stories and childbirth now, so it was fascinating to hear a little about yours. what a precious little doll you were blessed with, and i'm so glad ruben had at least a little time off to help you. you go mama, it's going to be an interesting transition. i just really hope your older kids will help you out quite a bit! can you believe that i have never heard that thing about not closing your eyes? my eyes were totally closed for my entire labor i'm sure. although i do remember some moments of staring long and hard into my loved ones' eyes during transition in a rather trance like way. they were kinda weirded out i think, haha! anyway great work, it is truly an amazing feat to bring a baby into this world, and you endured a difficult pregnancy with a lot of grace. YOU DID IT! congratulations!!! and feel free to post about a billion pictures :) :) :) lots and lots of love to you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness, Anne, you never ever ever come across as judgey! And thank you for sharing your experience with us. I have had one home birth, one birthing center birth, and one hospital birth- no meds for anything, but they were each such unique experiences. I love hearing about how women give birth. It's nice that we have so many options!

    And yes, please share that salad recipe. It looks so nourishing!

    ReplyDelete

thank you so much for stopping by. please feel free to leave a comment! i love reading them :)


anne